Trees are a beautiful addition to any backyard providing comfort, beauty, nature and general personal well being. Maintaining trees requires regular inspections of the trees and surrounding plant life health.
Preventive tree care can save thousands of dollars in potential damage or removal. Urban Land | Tree | Soil. has professional tree arborists that provide expert tree health and tree risk assessments. This can spot potential weaknesses before they become major hazards.
During tree safety inspections, a visual inspection and tools are used to identify existing damage and potential risk.
Here’s a quick ground up inspection you can do to assess you own tree health:
- Root Health. Starting at the roots and collar, look at soil condition, moisture content of the area, and root exposure, or lack of it.
- Injured Bark or Decay. Examine the trunk. Look for deep, large cracks in the trunk. These indicate structural weakness in the tree and need careful evaluation. Trunk swelling, or an overgrowth of one area of the bark, also signifies advanced decay. A certified arborist can determine the extent of decay by using a probe.
- Pests and Fungal Infestation. Mushrooms and fungus are attracted to decay. If you have an unhealthy tree, fungi will likely start growing. Carpenter ants are also a good sign that your tree is decaying. Some wood-eating pests burrow deep into the trunk of trees, causing damage for years before anyone notices.
- Are we straight? Leaning Trees, unbalanced/uneven tree growth, sinking soil, and root invasion are also important points in tree health assessment.
- Look Up! The top, or crown, of a tree is the last signal for damages. Hanging branches are definitely a danger to you and your family and should be removed quickly. Also look for major breaks and poor leaf growth. You might also catch some insect infestation.
After you’ve performed your assessment and feel like the tree is showing signs of stress, decay or poor health, the next step is to determine the potential risk the tree poses. An expert, such as a certified arborist from Urban Land | Tree | Soil, can assess the tree using proper tools and determine if the tree can be treated, nurtured, or if it is best to replace it.
Properly assessing your tree’s health will catch problems early on, saving you money in the long run and, possibly the life of your tree. Urban is qualified to assess, treat and maintain your plant health long term. Call us today to schedule an assessment.